2/24/10

Many Lights in the Darkness

From Liz:
We just got back from the Tuesday evening meeting. I wish that there were a way to adequately convey the infectious joy that filled that humble building in the heart of this third-world city. In this church of cement blocks and corrugated-tin roofing, with lights that flicker on and off, and the sounds of the city and the hot breezes coming through the shutters—there is a dynamic group of people who know the gift of grace and are holding fast to this life-giving Gospel. Sitting in the service tonight, surrounded by women of all ages, some holding babies and little children, some in western clothing, some in traditional dresses, I was listening to their resounding ‘Amens!’ as Leon preached, and I thought of Ephesians 4, where Paul talks about the unity of the Body of Christ. Here, five thousand miles from home, among people with a different language, culture, skin color, way of seeing and experiencing the world, I have never felt so deeply the truth of those words—that in the Body of Christ, we share one hope, one calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all. On a continent that feels a world away from all that I know, I find myself at home.

Sunday afternoon, I had the opportunity to have lunch with a few of the young adults in the church. Three men and three women, all in their mid-twenties, joined me and Christina at Mr. Biggs—the Ghanaian equivalent of McDonalds. Over chicken and rice and meat pies, I found myself increasingly impressed, and humbled, by the understanding, fervency, and sincerity of these young grace believers. We spent a few hours sharing how we each came to know the message of the dispensation of the grace of God, and talked about the struggles we’ve encountered as a result of believing this message. Several in the group help lead the children’s ministry at the church, and they were eager to share ideas and get advice on how to teach grace to their kids. In truth, I think there’s a lot they could teach us. But as we talked with them, what struck me as most meaningful for these grace believers here is the reassurance that they are not alone. I pray that as they hear this message of Grace confirmed over these next few weeks, they will be encouraged to stand firm as lights in the darkness of this city, this country, this continent.

The first few days that I spent in Ghana, I was overwhelmed with all that I saw. I turned to my dad at one point and asked him to help me see the beauty of this place, because I just couldn’t see it. What I could see was this congested, concrete, chaotic, broken-down city. Almost a week into the trip, I find my perspective changing. The landscape hasn’t changed, but what I am beginning to see more is that God is doing a work in this city. I see pastors who are studying hard to understand this message of grace; I see young people passionate about the spread of this gospel, as they teach the children and seek new ways to get the message of God’s grace out to their city; I see women carrying their children on their backs, walking miles to this church to hear Truth. I think I’m beginning to see some of the beauty of this place. And it becomes clearer and clearer that the Gospel of Grace couldn’t be more strategically planted than in this throbbing city of people.

We had a scheduling change, so instead of speaking Monday night, I will be speaking tomorrow (Wednesday) night. Although it’s a service for the whole church, I will be speaking specifically to the women. The men have been told to let the women sit in the front rows, so I will be able to see them “eye to eye.” I’m looking forward to this opportunity to encourage the women. Please pray that the Lord will guide my words, and open the hearts of the women and men who will be there tomorrow night.

No comments: